Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Never 100% Sure

This explanation in my field guide under Mallards pretty much sums up my entire birding experience:

"Mallards hybridize with black ducks and mottled ducks, complicating identification in some regions."

Complicating identification?! Hah! I have a difficult time identifying ALL ducks (and all birds, for that matter!) in ALL regions! Oh well, that's what makes birding so fun and exciting. You never know what is going to be waiting for you around the corner.
Colusa National Wildlife Refuge
 I'm pretty sure these are juvenile Mallards.
Colusa National Wildlife Refuge
 Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Colusa National Wildlife Refuge in California
(Photos taken at Colusa NWR.
Frustration taken out on a quarter-pounder with cheese on the way home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment