Saturday, October 29, 2016

Sandhill Cranes - Part 1

My hubby is the best birding partner I could ask for! Ever since I heard about Sandhill Cranes flocking to the Llano Seco Unit during their migration, I couldn't wait to see them with my very own eyes. Well, thanks to my hubby, I finally got to see them! It was his idea to drive over to the Wildlife Management Area to see if there was finally some water there.
Wildlife Management Area
When we arrived, it looked like they had just started filling it up and there was just enough water to attract exactly what I was looking for. At first glance, I thought there was a group of ostriches or emus in the field! Turns out, they were Sandhill Cranes and they were HUGE! Much bigger than I thought they would be.
Llano Seco Unit

Llano Seco Unit

Sandhill Cranes

Llano Seco Unit WMA
It was really windy and the cranes were a little far away for my camera to shoot clearly, but I managed to get a few decent photos.
Llano Seco Unit

Llano Seco viewing platform
I've never seen a Sandhill Crane before and was delighted to finally add them to my Big Year list. They make the coolest sound!
Llano Seco Unit
 More photos coming tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment